de Moura, W, Barbosa, ÉA, Grobbelaar, W & Dorman, S 2005, 'Cuiabá Mine Tailings and Backfill System', in R Jewell & S Barrera (eds), Proceedings of the International Seminar on Paste and Thickened Tailings
, Australian Centre for Geomechanics, Perth, pp. 277-298, https://doi.org/10.36487/ACG_repo/563_19
As part of the Cuiabá Mine expansion project, AngloGold Ashanti are inves-
tigating the installation of a flotation concentrator plant at Cuiabá Mine. A study
has been conducted to investigate the feasibility of producing classified tailings
for underground hydraulic backfill and thickening the remainder of the tailings
for disposal in a valley dam tailings storage facility.
This paper presents the following aspects of the study:
• Cyclone optimization tests.
• Pilot thickener tests.
• Thickened tailings slurry rheology and flow behaviour tests.
• Thickened tailings beach deposition tests.
• Underground backfill drainage tests.
• Design of the classification and thickening plant.
• Underground backfill distribution system.
• Backfill drainage system design.
• Thickened tailings pumping system design.
• Tailings storage facility design.
It is expected that the system will be in production in 2007.
278 Paste 2005, Santiago, Chile
Cuiabá Mine Tailings and Backfill System De Moura, W. et al.